The design sought to enhance and complement the school’s Eastbury Road frontage by providing a clear main entrance whilst maintaining a strong connection to the existing building which was constructed partly in 1902 (the School House) and then added to in 1910 (the Old Hall). We were also asked to rationalise circulation as well as improving the arrangement of senior management, teaching and staff facilities and upgrading the central courtyard and visitor parking layout.
The form of the new entrance extension takes its influence from the gable end adjacent and the arts and crafts style architecture which characterises the Conservation Area. The materials have predominantly been chosen to match the existing with some high quality new materials to rejuvenate and distinguish old from new.
We exposed the original Old Hall timber beams and sand blasted them to bring them back to their former glory. The clerestory windows which had been bricked up to the west were opened up to create a visual link between the new extension and the Old Hall.
The school now has a distinctive and harmonious entrance which welcomes visitors to the school.